Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Three UIL Academic students advance to state meet

On April 26 and 27, UIL Academic students traveled to Rock Hill High School to compete in the region meet. After placing in the top three at the district meet to advance, these 20 students competed in 11 events and three placed high enough to advance to the state meet.

Senior Arden Berry, junior Pragnya Kaginele and sophomore Nandita Shetty will compete in the state meet in Austin on May 14 after placing in the top three in their individual events. Berry placed third in copy editing, Shetty third in headline writing and Kaginele took home third in feature writing, second in editorial writing and first place in news writing. Their combined scores gave the Carroll journalism team the championship trophy in the team category.

“I am incredibly proud of the team this year,” UIL academic coordinator Natalie Brown said. “We have a really tough region and to score in the top three in every single journalism event is a huge accomplishment. I am looking forward to seeing how they do at the state meet next month.”

The UIL Academic State Meet is held at the University of Texas in Austin on May 13-15.