Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Competing as a Female in Male Dominant Sport

Wrestler Cora Hayes advances to state meet

Wrestling is a sport that has been dominated by males for centuries, yet females have started to make a name for themselves on the mat, especially in high school and college. At the forefront of this surge in Southlake is sophomore Cora Hayes, a varsity wrestler who has made an impact at various state and national competitions this season. As she continues to put in work on and off the mat, she is redefining what it means to be a female student athlete.

Hayes has been a wrestler since she was eight years old, but it hasn’t been easy in the slightest. 

“It’s very difficult,” Hayes said. “For wrestling it’s hard to find women in the sport and try to adapt to the general teachings from males, but it’s an amazing experience to feel like a strong woman.” 

With Hayes’ hard work and talent, she’s been turning heads, both from her fellow teammates and college scouts. 

“Wrestling against Cora is a challenge because she’s one of the best athletes on the team, but also one of the best teammates,” sophomore Grace Jose said. “She’s always been naturally talented at wrestling, but what stands out is her hard work and selflessness as a teammate, as she cheers on everyone and is there for every match or just there for people to improve their skills as a wrestler.” 

However, her biggest supporter along her journey cannot be overlooked: her mom.  

“I love watching her work so hard, because wrestling is not easy and not everyone comes out as a winner in the tournament,” Ms. Lyndee Hayes said. “It’s the most grueling sport, but it teaches you work ethic, how to use food as fuel, and character building. It’s also pretty fun to watch her kick butt and take names for women.” This just shows that Hayes is a key player in the slow, yet important balancing act of wrestling for all genders.

Hayes was recently named a UIL Regional Champion and advanced to the UIL 6A state wrestling tournament where she advanced to the consolation bracket and finished with an overall record of 2-2.