Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Sisterly Swimming Rivalry

Sophomore and junior siblings bond in the pool

Being on the same youth sports team as a sibling can create tension and competition, but being on a varsity team with your sibling truly takes the term “sibling rivalry” to a new level. Sophomore and junior sisters and breastroker duo, Sayesha and Sunisha Mahat, have been swimming together for almost six years. 

Despite normal sister fights and bickering, both sisters have bonded over what some consider to be an  individual sport. 

“Being on a team with my sister sure has been an interesting experience,” junior Sunisha recounts. “Driving every morning, and suffering the cold water has surely brought us closer together.” 

Both sisters have fond memories of competing alongside each other, not just at the high school level, but even dating back to elementary school years. 

“One of my favorite memories swimming in with Sunisha, was one time where I accidentally dove on top of her,” sophomore Sayesha said. “She was okay, and we both were laughing about it afterwards.” 

Other members of the Carroll swim team look up to the sisters as leaders, both in and out of the pool. 

“The role that [Sayesha] plays for us is being a great lane-mate, and [she] was very welcoming to all of us,” freshman Jenna Khalaf said. “My favorite part of being on the swim team with Sayesha is that she is super funny and brings up the spirits every day.”

Despite being so close as sisters and teammates, the Mahat girls have been competitors in the pool for almost six years. 

“I remember, around the ages of eight, Sayesha, and nine, me, when we first began swimming, Sayesha had beaten me in the 25 breaststroke for the first time, and every time since then, she has always beaten me in breaststroke,” Sunisha said. “It was a very humbling, yet funny, memory that has led up until now.”