Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Last Week in Sports 2.5-2.10

The Dragon and Lady Dragon swim and dive teams competed in the UIL Region 1-6A Championship meet last weekend in Midland. The Dragons placed 2nd to Keller, with a final score of 471-412. The Lady Dragons were named region 1-6A Regional Champions, with a final score of 485-404. As a result, 10 Dragons and 9 Lady Dragons will advance to the UIL 6A state meet in Austin on February 23-24.

Photos courtesy of @southlakecarrollswimanddive on instagram

Girls varsity soccer took the pitch twice this past week versus V.R. Eaton and Byron Nelson furthering their overall record to 16-0 and 6-0 in district play. With these two wins, the Lady Dragons currently sit in first place of district 4-6A. “As a team, we share a common goal to become district champions,” senior captain Erin O’Donnell said.  “These two games have been closer steps toward that shared goal.”  The Lady Dragons will face off against district opponent Fossil Ridge on Feb. 13.

Ava Cottingham

Varsity boys soccer also took the pitch twice this past week versus V.R. Eaton and Byron Nelson, winning both games to bring their overall record to 7-5-1, good for 3rd in the district. “Having to play two away games in a week is always difficult,” said head coach Chris Padilla. “So to get two wins away from home to put us back in the title race makes for a successful week.” In hopes of keeping the win streak, the Dragons will face off with Fossil Ridge on Feb. 13 and Timber Creek on Feb. 16, with both games at 7:30 at Dragon Stadium.

Ben Randall

The girls varsity basketball team defeated the Fossil Ridge Panthers 57-40 on Feb. 6 bringing their overall record to 29-5. The district champs begin their UIL 6A state playoff run this week against North Crowley in the hopes to advance to the area round.  

Morgan Brown

Last week, the boys basketball team faced off against Timber Creek and Fossil Ridge. The Dragons beat Fossil Ridge with a score of 45- 29 and Timber Creek with a score of 61-45, also clinching a spot in the UIL state playoffs.  This week the Dragons have are off as they are prepare for the Bi-District round of the playoffs next week. 

Morgan Brown

The Dragon wrestlers competed on February 8 and 9 in the UIL 6A Regional Championship to in the hopes to become state qualifiers. Carroll had 5 wrestlers qualify for state competition. Dylan Ota and Cora Hayes both finished as UIL 6A regional champions, with Hayes winning in overtime against Flower Mound. The Dragons will take the mat on February 16 in the 6A UIL state tournament. 

Morgan Brown

The Carroll Special Olympics athletes were featured between the boys and girls basketball games last week in preparation their participation in the first annual Special Olympics Slam Jam tournament and skills competition.  Students competed against students from Grapevine-Collyeville ISD and other surrounding school districts.  

Morgan Brown

Contributors: Merren Grannell, Ben Randall, Ava Cottingham, Zach Davidson, Matthew Klepikow, James Gray