Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Last Week in Sports 11.27-12.2

Football

Continuing their playoff run, varsity football beat Byron Nelson 56-7 on Dec. 2. The Dragon’s win puts them with an overall record of 13-1. Looking ahead, the Dragons are preparing for their State Semifinal game on Dec. 9 versus Desoto who has an overall record of 13-0. The game is set for 2 p.m. at Allen Stadium and the Dragons will be the visiting team. 

“There’s no doubt in my mind of what we’re capable of because I spend every day training with these guys, and I see first hand what we’re about,” junior Austin Davidge said. “People may be doubting us but we know that we’ve got what it takes. Nobody’s willing to play at our level, but that’s only possible because of our preparation.”

Morgan Brown

Girls Basketball

The Lady Dragon varsity basketball team continues improving their overall record of 12-3 with a 61-50 win over San Marcos and a 65-48 win over East Central on Nov. 30. The following day, the Lady Dragons faced off against Coppell and Brandeis winning 62-56 over Coppell and losing 75-54 to Brandeis.

“This is the Lady Dragon’s best season yet. We’re expected to make a state run this year,” junior Milania Jordan said. “I look forward to our team taking the program to a level that they’ve never been to before and breaking history together with my three sisters and the entire team.”

The Lady Dragons are away for the next two weeks but will take on Keller Central at home on Dec. 22. 

Morgan Brown

Boys Basketball

Boys varsity basketball furthers their win streak with a 61-38 win over Reedy on Nov. 28. This win extends the Dragon’s overall record to 7-2.

“I love the way the team is playing right now,” junior Gavin Munroe said. “Our main focus on the year was to not be complacent. Obviously we are happy about our wins, but we aren’t basing our whole season off of that. We are here for a solid playoff run and a district title.”

The next home game for the boys will be against Keller Central on Dec. 22. 

Morgan Brown

Wrestling

Continuing to kick off their season, both boys and girls wrestling faced L.D. Bell on Dec. 2. The boys won 60-24, and the girls won 39-17. The girls also faced off against Flower Mound and lost 60-12.

“My season is going pretty well so far,” junior Ayaan Didarali said. “I’ve seen a lot of improvements within myself, and I really admire the way that the whole team system is set up. It makes me feel like I’m a part of another family, and I feel like I’ve learned the true definition of teamwork. I’m super excited for the rest of the season and to keep succeeding with my team.”

Cross Country

Both boys and girls cross country competed at the Nike Cross Nationals on Dec. 2. The boys team finished third place overall, and the girls team placed 18th overall.

“We went to Portland believing we were the ones who were gonna come out on top,” junior Griffin Cords said. “We came up short but no doubt are extremely proud of our guys and their hard work. There are four of us returning next year, and our goal is to finish with a national title.” Cords placed in the top third of the 200+ runners who competed at the event.

Photo courtesy of @GriffinCordsXC

Swim and Dive

Boys and girls varsity swim and dive had a dual meet against Coppell on Nov. 30. The girls won 309-154, and the boys won 304-141.

“The Coppell meet was a fun experience,” sophomore Sayesha Mahat said. “It was awesome to be able to really race our teammates.” 

The team will be in action at the Mansfield invite Dec. 8-9. 

Photo by E. Lerin

Additoinal Dragon Sports Media staff contributing to the post: Vaughn Adams, Sarim Chaudhary