Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Board votes for TAD nominees, considers district improvement plans

The trustees emphasized the importance of electing their nominees for Southlake

The school board took action on multiple items in October after a month marked by presentations on new classes and frustrations with recapture payments. The board chose nominees for the Tarrant Appraisal District (TAD) and heard plans for campus improvements.

TAD is responsible for property tax valuations, which affect the process of recapture from the state legislation. After recalls and resignation from the organization in the previous year over issues of transparency, the board voted on October 2 for Rich DeOtte, Gary Losada, and Vince Puente, who were all nominated by the Keller City Council. All three have emphasized changing the culture of TAD and increasing transparency. 

“These folks will represent Southlake and Tarrant county in an organization that has really been a hot mess lately,” Trustee Alex Sexton said. “I think these folks will come in and really change things. They’ve got strong experience across the board. I think these folks are really good nominees, and I would encourage other districts to look at them.”

Later, on Oct. 16, Gina Peddy, the Executive Director of Curriculum and Instruction, discussed campus improvement plans that had been previously presented before the board.

“Today we are seeking approval for those plans and once they are approved, we will get those posted on all of our websites,” Peddy said.

The board chose to pass the information on to their consultant in order to see what measures would be necessary. The plans for each campus were posted alongside the meeting video.

“I got to serve on the Carroll Middle School campus improvement plan, the principals work so hard on these,” Trustee (Secretary) Christy Stacy said. “The work and the dedication … was incredible, so it was just, it’s a great opportunity to see how hard everyone works.”