Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Dragon Media

The Road to Getting Your License

Five Steps to Help You Get Driving

Getting your license may seem complicated at first. However, the process of getting your license is quite simple once you break it down. 

Step One: Learning the Ropes

The first thing you’ll need to do is enroll in a driver’s education course. This includes programs such as Southlake Driving School or Aceable Driver’s Ed. These programs include classroom instruction that will teach you everything you’ll need to know for the written permit test, which you will need to pass to obtain your permit. Once you finish your classroom hours, you can take the permit test either at the DPS, online, or through the driving school.

Step Two: Getting a Permit

When you get your permit you’ll need these:

• Verification of Enrollment Form (VOE)
  • Proof of Texas Residency 
  • Proof of US Citizenship
  • Birth Certificate
  • Social Security Card
  • Permit Certificate (Form DE-964)
  • Classroom Instruction Log
  • $16

Step Three: Getting Behind the Wheel

After you get your permit, you’ll need to complete your behind-the-wheel instruction hours and your driving practice hours. Texas requires drivers to complete 14 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction (seven hours of driving and seven hours of observation) and another 40 hours of behind-the-wheel practice with a parent (30 hours of day driving and 10 hours of night driving). 

As you complete these required hours, you will record these hours on the drive time logs provided by your instructor. Additionally, you’ll also need to complete the ITTD (Impact Texas Teen Drivers) Program, which is a video created by the DPS to provide education and raise awareness on the dangers of distracted driving. You’ll need to print out the certificate stating that you’ve completed the program. 

Step Four: The Road Test

Once you’ve finished all of these requirements, you’ll need to register for your driver’s license test at the DPS or through any driving school. You have to be at least 16 years of age to take the driving test.

Step Five: Getting Your License

Like registering for your driver’s permit, you’ll need these items to present at the DPS for your license:

• Texas Learner’s Permit
  • Birth Certificate
  • Social Security Card
  • Proof of Insurance
  • Proof of Texas Residency 
  • Verification of Enrollment Form (VOE)
  • License Certificate (Form DE-964)
  • Classroom Instruction Log
  • In-Car Observation & Behind-The-Wheel Instruction Log (14 hours of behind-the-wheel instruction)
  • Behind-The-Wheel Practice Log (30 hours of day driving and 10 hours of night driving)

Once you pass the driver’s license test and receive your license, you’ll be able to drive (legally).