Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Student Feature: Meeting with a senior art student, Hunter Bennett

Q: Hi Hunter, can you take me through a reason why you started art?

I originally took Art 1 because I needed a fine art credit. I then took ceramics since I liked making clay critters and Mrs. Roanhaus was the teacher for it. 

Q: When creating a project, what are your thoughts and reasons for your art pieces?

First, I look at the requirements and online examples. Second, I figure out how I can make it my unique piece. From there I just adapt to whatever happens while building the piece. 

Q: What is your experience with VASE?

I participated in VASE as a junior in Ceramics 2. The judge who interviewed me gave me a 40/40 grade. However, I was not selected for the state. That is the part that has frustrated me for so long. I think VASE was a super awesome experience and I hope to participate this year if the cards are in my favor. 

Q: What was your piece?

My piece was named “Pontoppidan.” This is after the man who first discovered the Kraken. I knew going into this project that I wanted to make a boat being attacked by a Kraken so I felt like that would be a good name that has a historical background. 

Q: Who is your favorite art teacher?

Mrs. Roanhaus. I have been in her classes for three years and a contributing factor to my joy for art class has been her being the teacher. 

Q: Do you have any advice for new students on art?

My advice to those in Art 1 would be to try putting in effort and seeing what comes out of it. You will have better relationships with your teachers, better grades, and ultimately maybe find a knack for a certain kind of art. I never thought that I would be in a top-level class but here I am. 

Q: What was your favorite piece you made?

My favorite piece I have made is my VASE project “Pontoppidan” as I mentioned above. It is the largest and most time-intensive piece I have made so it has a place in my heart as the first big project I did in ceramics. Not only that but I think it earned a little bit of respect from myself and peers as to what my ability is. I also really like my set of tripod mugs. They are one option in the first clay projects in Ceramics 2 and ended up being quite large and I use them a few times a month as a joke. If you can’t tell, I like making large projects.