Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Club Feature: MSA

Southlake Muslim high schoolers connect with their religion, Islam
Photos courtesy of MSA

Muslim Student Association (MSA) is a club representing local Muslim high schoolers. MSA allows a setting for Muslim students to communicate and relate to one another about their Islamic faith. There are meetings at both Carroll High Schools every other week to talk about Islam. Furthermore, MSA jumps on any opportunity to help the community and school. MSA members involve themselves in the community by having bake sales and contributing money to GRACE and refugees. 

MSA does not only consist of Carroll High School students, there are many other high schoolers from surrounding school districts. All the members of MSA attend the local Southlake Mosque. Even though MSA has meetings in the Carroll schools, MSA makes sure to include the non-Carroll students in voting and participating in religious events. 

“I still feel included with the Muslim Community in Southlake as they have events that tie in with the local Southlake Mosque that I can attend,” MSA member Ushba Saya, a junior from Westlake Academy, said. “The people in this community are inclusive and welcoming.” 

The MSA members and board have many aspirations for MSA. They want MSA to grow and fulfill its full potential. 

MSA president, senior Amelia Ghafoor, hopes “to bring students closer to their religion while also fostering a sense of community and confidence in who they are.” 

MSA allows students to learn and be more connected with their religion through events to talk about the Islamic religion such as bonfire talks, picnics, and lectures. Imam Safi Khan leads the bonfire talks and lectures to guide the MSA students. Lectures take place every week at the Mosque with many different topics on Islam. The bonfire talks occur every couple of months over specific obstacles Muslim students may go through.

“MSA is helpful to introducing me to people that I would have never met if it weren’t for MSA,” sophomore Misha Rizvi said. 

MSA is a club where Muslim high schoolers are able to feel united and connected to their religion.

“I love how our club is able to bring us all together and remind us that we aren’t alone in the struggles we may have being a minority,” Ghafoor said.