Runway+takeoff

Runway takeoff

Junior Abby Williamson models for Dior during Paris Fashion Week 2016

February 9, 2016

For most girls, modeling famous designer clothing has been only a dream. For junior Abby Williamson, that dream has become a reality.

After years of dedicated work in one of the most difficult industries to maintain a stable career in, Williamson modeled Christian Dior’s Spring Summer Collection on January 25 during the Haute Couture Paris Fashion Week 2016.

“When I was about to walk out, I was really nervous,” Williamson said. “I took a deep breath and did what I was there to do. When it was over, and it really sunk in, I just couldn’t get the smile off my face.”

Although Williamson has only been a part of the fashion scene since she was discovered in middle school, she has modeled in more cities than she can remember. The internationally recognized model bubbles out of her chair as she recalls the beginning of her career when she signed with Wallflower Management in Dallas.

“I started when I was thirteen,” Williamson said. “I was always doing really artsy things with fashion and I thought modeling would be really fun to try. My mom knew of an agency so that’s the one we went to. When I first started I wasn’t really sure what would come of it.”

Since her breakthrough, Williamson has signed with the internationally renowned modeling agency IMG. This new exposure has given her the opportunity to work internationally, most notably in Paris, London, and Tokyo. Her favorite trip has been one of her most recent ones.

“This past summer I got to visit London and Tokyo,” Williamson said. “I definitely loved London, I got to do a lot of tourist things outside of working, like riding the London Eye and visiting platform nine and three-quarters from Harry Potter.”

Despite the hectic schedule, her mother Amy Williamson, has gone on every trip, supporting Williamson in working towards her dream of moving to New York after high school to work full time and travel the world. Since her trip to Paris, Williamson has been named one of Vogue’s 10 Models to Watch this New York Fashion Week. 

“[Wallflower] had the vision and foresight to see what Abby could become,” Williamson’s mother said. “[Her family and I] are thrilled for Abby and so proud of the career she’s pursuing.”

Williamson’s work often causes her to miss school, but she’s able to spend time with friends on the weekends during the school year when she has fewer jobs. Her two off blocks allow her to book more jobs after school than she could before, and this has been helping her to work towards her overall goals.

“When Abby first got signed I remember her telling me she didn’t think she was good enough to model,” Williamson’s best friend, junior Mica Kendall said. “But now, I don’t think she, or anyone, really realizes the celebrity she’s going to become.”

Dragon Media • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in