Molly Bucknam

Hooked on UT

Senior Obi Eboh commits to play college football

October 13, 2015

As he walks onto the field, he hears the announcer boom over the intercom as he is surrounded by erupting cheers from hundreds of students coated in layers of green. The senior section is so tightly packed together that no one can sit, not that they were planning to anyway. Friday night home games are sacred in a community where everyone seems to ooze school spirit, and for Obi Eboh, these games are only a precursor to something bigger.

Eboh, a first string cornerback standing six feet two inches and weighing 190 pounds, announced that he committed to play football at the University of Texas at Austin early this September. For some, the announcement was surprising, considering he was also being recruited by schools like Duke and Vanderbilt. But, for Eboh, the benefit of attending UT greatly outweighed all other options.

“UT was ultimately the best of both worlds. It had the academic prestige I was looking for, as well as a great football tradition,” Eboh said. “UT has a great fan base and a lot of people supporting them. I believe that a degree from Texas, especially with all of the alumi here, will set me up for success in the future.”

Eboh started playing football in the third grade and since then athletics has been an essential part of his life. He was spotted in elementary school by Harold Wasson, Eboh’s coach, who knew he was a competitive player on the rise.

“I saw him compete at an early age in my wife’s PE class at Johnson Elementary school,” Coach Wasson said. “I’m not surprised at the success he’s had.”

The interest in Eboh by colleges was not unexpected considering his statistics since entering high school. Through his four years on varsity football, Eboh has made 91 tackles, deflected nineteen passes, and has recovered a fumble. Through all of these feats, Eboh is ranked fifteenth in the state of Texas for high school football players.

“I’m taller than most cornerbacks,” Eboh said. “Having the height and length help me be able to match up against taller receivers. Even with my height, I still have the speed that smaller cornerbacks have. The combination of my speed and length caught the attention of coaches.”

As an elected team captain, Eboh knows in order to guarantee success, the team needs to communicate and understand one another. To some, being a competitive player and a thorough leader may be too stressful. But, Eboh finds his leadership position more rewarding than anything else.

“Being a team captain for the Dragons is a tremendous honor. Captains assume responsibility for the team and exemplify our core values on and off the field. It’s a great feeling knowing that my teammates trust me and they look to me to lead them,” Eboh said.

Eboh’s leadership skills affect his teammates even off the field. Evan Clary, a second-string cornerback, believes that Eboh is someone who genuinely cares about all his teammates and is always willing to help them.

“Obi and I have been friends since Kindergarden,” Clary said. “If he can help someone in any way, then he will. He doesn’t hesitate to give great advice or be an open ear if you have any issues.”

Although Eboh aspires to be recruited by the NFL, he is excited to receive an education from a top tier school. Eboh knows that his academics are equally as important as his athletics, and has managed to fill his schedule with multiple Advanced Placement classes throughout high school.

“The NFL is an aspiration of mine, however I plan to major in Finance and then receive my MBA. I would like to work on Wall Street as a profession. If I am blessed with the ability to play in the NFL then I would like to do that. It has always been a dream of mine,” Eboh said.

Eboh knows that choosing a college is one of the biggest decisions he will make, but he isn’t set on getting out of high school and moving onto college quite yet. He is still focused on keeping his team strong for the remainder of the season.

“It’s a relief knowing the recruiting process, for the most part, is over with, but I really don’t feel any different. Right now I’m just focusing on my current team and doing what we can to be successful,” Eboh said.

Dragon Media • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in