Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Dragon Media

AP Komal Panjabi shares how she is exactly where she needs to be 

Suhavi Bakshi

Carroll High School assistant principal Ms. Komal Panjabi shares her journey throughout the years.

Q: Where did you grow up?

A: So I was born and raised in Hong Kong, China. At that time Hong Kong was its separate place on “lease,” if you will, from the British. So I was born and raised there for 12 years. And then I moved to Bahrain, in the Middle East. So I lived there until I went to college and yeah, that’s where I grew up.

Q: Where did you go to college?

A: I did my undergraduate studies at James Madison University in Virginia. It’s called JMU and people call it ‘Just Miss UVA’ because UVA is the better school, but jokes on them, I didn’t apply there. I also did my master’s at New York University.

Q: What did you do before you became the assistant principal of CHS?

A: You might’ve heard but I was a fifth grade math teacher before this. It’s weird because I wasn’t a math teacher before I started teaching math, I was a special education teacher. I did special education for 11 years and before that, I was a lab tech and a clinical laboratory scientist in New Jersey. You know how you go to the doctor and they take your blood sample? Yeah, I was the person who evaluated that, but I left it because I’m pretty chatty, and I was getting bored there. So then I switched and did special education like I told you, and then we moved to Texas, and Durham Intermediate was across the street from my house and they were looking for a math teacher and they asked me to teach, and I did, and I loved it. I had done math for seven years and I was like, what’s next? So this job conveniently opened up at the time I was looking and now here I am. 

Q: What do you hope to achieve with this job? 

A: I think I want to continue supporting all the great teachers we have in this school; I want to continue supporting them and helping them in any way I can. Sometimes they feel like all they need to do is teach, and I want to make sure I can clear all that for them so they can focus on what they are best at. Another part is making relationships with the kids. I feel like it’s hard when you’re not a teacher, when it’s not your students but if I can make relationships with them then that would be perfect. The other day a kid came in here and he was looking for an assistant principal and the front desk asked ‘Which one?’ and he replied ‘The short one that smiles a lot’. And I felt really nice that a student sees me as a person who smiles and a person who is always there. 

Q: Were you nervous about becoming assistant principal?

A: I was so nervous. I was so nervous because it was high school. You know I’ve never done this age group; I’ve always done little kids, so this was very nerve-wracking. And you high schoolers are just big kids. That’s what they are. They are sweet and kind, and the mistakes are obviously bigger, but again they are just a great age group. And I think that’s because everyone here has made me feel so welcome as well. All of the staff members have really done an amazing job making me feel welcome and I feel also contributed a lot.

Q: What do you plan to do in the future?

A: Honestly, I want to learn as much as I can and see where it takes me. I’m all about learning and that’s going to make me grow as a person, so yes I do want to learn. I’m surrounded by people who are really good at what they do and that’s what I plan to do as well, and then we’ll see where that takes me. I never make big plans, I just go with the flow. When it’s time for a change it will come to me. I’ll know. Right now I feel like I’m exactly where I’m supposed to be.

Q: Since it is the end of the year, how would you summarize it? 

A: I’ll say about high school you’re never bored. Every day is something new to see and experience. You just never know what day it’s going to be and I feel like that makes the days go by really fast. So I would say this was the year of learning and experiencing new things. Overall, it was a great year.

Q: Is there anything you would like to tell me? 

A: I would want to say that it’s been a great year, and it’s been really an amazing experience. I just loved this year.