Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Dragon Media

Halloween Movie Faves: as told by Carroll Students

Five well-loved films that have just the right amount of spookiness.

Sahana Sarath (11)

“My favorite is ‘Scream’ (1996). It’s basically about a girl who gets chased around by a killer in a mask, and there’s a plot twist at the end. It’s kind of like a classic horror movie. I like how there’s an element of horror, but it’s not too scary, and you can guess who the killer is throughout the movie. I’d probably recommend it to teenagers because a lot of the characters are in high school, so it’s pretty relatable.”

Sunisha Mahat (11)

“Mine is ‘Coraline’. It’s about a girl who falls into another dimension and meets her ‘other’ family, and they turn out to be evil. It used to scare me a lot as a kid, and it kind of still does, but in a good way.”

Brigitte Barton (11)

“My favorite is ‘Corpse Bride’. The story follows Victor, who is stuck in the underworld with his recently deceased wife Emily. Victor strives to return back to his new fiancée, Victoria, but is torn due to his engagement to Emily. The stop-motion animation mixed with its whimsical and dark ambience is the perfect blend. I love movies that pertain to a certain gloomy style, and what makes it better is its Victorian-gothic nature. The relationships explored and developed between the 3 main characters is charismatic and endearing. It’s a striking and beautiful movie making it not just my favorite Halloween movie, but one of my favorite movies of all time.”

Alexa Rios (11)

“I like ‘The Visit’. It’s about these kids visiting their grandparents, only it turns out that they aren’t actually their grandparents. I like the unique plot and it was actually scary.”

Holly Barton (9)

“My favorite horror movie is ‘IT’ (2017). It’s about this group of kids who start being terrorized by a clown. I love how it’s set in the 80s; it makes the horror feel more real because they don’t have phones or anything. I like that one scene where the projector comes on and Pennywise jumps out.”