Mica Kendall

Disco isn’t dead

Top trends of Fall 2016

October 14, 2016

The leaves have started to change color signaling our transition into fall, and with it the reemergence of the lost fashion trends of the 1970s and 80s. From windbreakers and denim skirts to dungarees and mom jeans, the apparent appeal of past fashion is evident. This list will help you find the best quality retail stores that have stocked up on this upcoming trend that is sure to sweep through the fashion world.

Women’s Fall Fashion

Cardigans:

There’s no such thing as fall without an oversized knitted cardigan, and this season, mustard yellow and moss green are taking over as the top hot colors. Cardigans are essential for layering with outfits during the mid chilly weather of autumn so you aren’t too cold or too hot. Urban Outfitters caters to those who prefer oversized cardigans, which are great to layer with, whether you’re wearing a fitted tee and jeans, or a simple T-shirt dress. While American Apparel contains more fitted cardigans, which focuses on a more professional, sophisticated look and can be paired with formal wear. 

mica-1                                         mica-2

American Apparel Knit Easy Cardigan Sweater ($55)      Urban Outfitters BDG Carter Cardigan ($59)

Mom Jeans:

The top 80s fashion commodity is back, from “Freaks and Geeks” to the newly hit show “Stranger Things,” the revival of mom jeans have been prevalent. Mom jeans are loose, fitted, comfortable and go great with a belt or knitted sweater for the fall. The Urban Outfitters BDG Mom Jeans are a great “first pair” for mom jeans, with a very basic look that can go well with any comfortable attire. For more design like mom jeans, Topshop offers a variety of mom jeans in different shades, with different styles such as embroidered designs and ripped mom jeans.

mica-3                                                      mica-4

Urban Outfitters BDG Mom Jeans ($59)                       Topshop MOTO Bleach Rip Mom Jeans ($75)

Chelsea Boots:

Chelsea boots have emerged as one of the top leading shoes for the fall. These boots add a sense of style and flare to your fall outfits, and can be used both for formal and casual uses. The Urban Outfitters Thelma boots, come in three different colors of grey, rust and black, and have a pointed heel if you’re trying to be more unique than the typical rounded chelsea boots. ASOS has a wide variety of standardized chelsea boots with the Pieces Ambra Suede Chelsea boots being more on the basic side of Chelsea’s, but are a great first pair if you are investing in a pair of Chelsea’s for the first time. Chelsea boots for sure bring out a more unique sense of style compared to the typical Ugg boots fad in the fall.

mica-5                                                         m-6

Thelma Suede Ankle Boot ($98)                            Pieces Ambra Suede Chunky Chelsea Boots ($93.51)

Denim Skirt:

The denim skirt is back and better than ever since 2015 and 2016 Fashion Week, the essential skirt looks like it’s staying in the fashion world for a long time. Denim skirts are your best friend because their look is versatile, and can be paired with nearly anything such as a T-shirt or fitted tee, and you could still make the look casual or formal. ASOS provides a ton of affordable denim skirts in different shades, patterns, embroidered designs, and better yet have skirts catered towards if you are tall, petite, curvy, plus sized, or maternal. American Apparel focuses more on the authentic quality of denim in their skirts, and even though they charge a high price, their denim skirts are sure to ensure quality for a long time.

m-7                                      m-8

ASOS Denim High Waisted Mini Skirt With Raw Hem Mid Wash Blue ($40.31) AA Denim Button Front A line Mini Skirt Black ($62)

Dungarees/Overalls:

With a name like dungaree, the reemergence of overalls in the fashion world provide a sense of fun into the typical outfit. Dungarees have been making their reappearance in the music festival scene, and pair great with a fitted tee and sneakers. ASOS has the biggest selection for the longer styled overalls with different a variety of color such as pink, black, green and indigo and  dungarees are a great substitute if you don’t feel like wearing typical jeans. The BDG Nicki Overall takes a more short  romper approach which can go great with a more formal usage with overalls. Overall, overalls have no fashion limitation in how you choose to wear them.

m-9                                     m-10

Vero Moda Denim Culotte Dungarees ($67.72)                   BDG Nicki Overall Romper Olive ($69)

Men’s Fall Fashion

Windbreakers:

The hit jacket commodity of the 80s is back and is more than prevalent in the fashion world today with the newest released designs of windbreakers from brands that range from Adidas and Nike who are making a comeback on the windbreaker. Urban Outfitter’s men’s section has recently released a large influx of windbreakers for their fall collection, including the Without Walls Colorblock windbreaker which incorporates the colorblock fashion from the 60s. ASOS has more casual windbreakers such as the Khaki Overhead windbreaker best suited for a more simplistic style.

m-11                               m-12

Without Walls Full Zip Colorblock Nylon Jacket ($79)       ASOS Overhead Windbreaker ($48.37)

Skinny Jeans:

Skinny jeans have made their mark in current day men fashion in mainly the music industry where icons such as Matty Healy and Harry Styles can be seen wearing skinny jeans everyday. Urban Outfitter’s BDG brand of skinny jeans for men can range in many different shades, and serves as a great first pair of skinny jeans, such as the BDG Destructive Light Stonewash jean, which could pair greatly with a simple t shirt or sweater. Topman also plays a big role in the skinny jean market, with higher prices, but greater quality which can last for multiple years. The AAA Coated Ripped Stretch Skinny jeans are great for those who are more into the ripped skinny jean style, and the black shade can match with anyone’s personal fashion preference.

m-13                                       m-14

BDG Destructed Light Stonewash Skinny Jean ($59)                              AAA Coated Ripped Stretch Skinny Jeans ($100)

Vans Old Skool:

Vans has recently released to popular demand more of their “Old Skool” collection which can range from styles such as leather and suede. Urban Outfitter’s contains some of the exclusive Old Skool designs such as the latest release of the Monotone Color Vans like the Old Skool MTE Sneaker, while ASOS’s Old Skool collection focuses on more of the general more simplistic color tones of Vans.

m-15                                         m-16

UO Vans Old Skool MTE Sneaker ($75)                        ASOS Vans Old Skool Gum Trainers ($112.86)

Joggers:

Joggers are the perfect substitute for when you aren’t feeling jeans, but want a more fashionable approach towards sweatpants. Joggers serve a more casual comforting style for the fall, and Urban Outfitter’s Terry Fleece Joggers come in assorted colors such as mauve, dark purple, dark green and cream perfect for fashionable casual wear. ASOS has a more formal selection of joggers such as the pintuck khaki’s which can even be used to dress up, while still having a cozy feel.

m-17                                             m-18

UO Terry Fleece Jogger ($39)                                             ASOS Skinny Jogger with Pintucks ($35.47)

Pullover:

A mix between a collared shirt and hoodie, pullovers can be used for a comfortable feel, when you are feeling more than just the typical t shirt or sweater. Urban Outfitters has a wide range of pullovers for the fall season that can be used for formal and casual wear. The Manastash Bigfoot pullover is perfect for the chill weather in the fall, with its fur that can substitute towards buying the typical North Face jacket, while the Quarter Zip Collar pullover is more on the casual style side perfect for the fall season.

m-20                                                m2

Manastash Bigfoot Pullover Sweatshirt ($135)                       UO ¼ Zip Flannel Over Shirt ($64)

Dragon Media • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in