Opinion: Time to take action

Take part in Thursday’s walkout to show your support

Opinion: Time to take action

To parents, students, teachers and staff:

We are a group of students with sweaty palms, beating hearts and blossoming passions. We come to school every day, working on several publications, reading and watching everything that we possibly can. We are some form of a kindred spirit to all of the other high school students around the nation speaking out on gun violence and the tragedy that occurred at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School.

We are a group of students ready to fight for our rights, ready to fight against the culture of gun violence that children are forced to face even at school. We refuse to let our opinions be left unheard, to let this issue be swept under the rug once again – bloodied, battered and bruised.

We are a group of students who may not have the answers, who do not know the solutions. We are not the ones responsible. But we know that we need change, and we know that we will continue to voice, speak and write.

On Thursday, March 8 at 10 a.m. for 17 minutes, there is a peaceful walkout to represent the 17 lives lost at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. As representatives of the Dragon Media program, we will be walking out and exercising our First Amendment right. We hope to walk alongside our fellow students as it is our moral duty to promote the safety of our school and ensure that no student feels endangered while trying to gain an education.

There will be no disciplinary action taken against students, and there will not be any absences issued. As the shoulders of the next generation the world will soon stand upon, we promise to try and march, rally, speak and work to wash the red stains off the rugs for as long as we can.

Sincerely,

The Dragon Tribune