Back to Article
Back to Article

Rogue One

Rogue One

7/10

January 25, 2017

Rogue One is the latest Star Wars movie to hit theatres. Starring Felicity Jones (Jyn Erso), Diego Luna (Cassian Andor) and Mads Mikkelsen (Galen Erso) and directed by Gareth Edwards, “Rogue One” puts a more “boots on the ground” feel to the Star Wars universe. It’s is the untold story of how the rebel alliance came to acquire the plans for the death star, which essentially makes it Episode 3.9 because the movie ends literally 10 minutes before the original Star Wars begins. It’s is the perfect connection for episode 4 due to the loose ends it stitches up, like the reason why death star had a very exploitable weakness. “Rogue One” was well crafted and is a very nice addition to the star wars universe.

The actors occasionally delivered sub par performances. However, there are scenes that characters Jyn and Cassian give some very deep and emotional performances. Given that there are a multitude of characters in “Rogue One,” only a couple stood out. First off, K2-S0 was hilarious, he had the crowd roaring with laughter at times. Almost everything he said was skeptical or condescending and he provided a pleasantly surprising comic relief to a movie already about unavoidable doom. Next is Chirrut Imwe (the blind guy who swings a stick) whom was by far one of the most interesting characters to me. In the movie it is made clear to the audience that Chirrut was a guardian of the kyber crystal (crystal used to power a lightsaber and eventually the death star) temple and that he has a kyber crystal at the end of his staff. This allows the audience to make an educated guess that Chirrut has a semi-strong connection with the force. Cassian and Jyn’s characters were disappointingly predictable. The two main characters find each other by happen chance and dislike each other for a while but eventually grow closer to each other due to the concentration on the fight at hand bringing them together to fight a common enemy. Nevertheless this movie was still highly enjoyable and the positives from my view on “Rogue One” heavily outweigh the negatives.

The first hour of “Rogue One” was a very quick paced climb due to the characters being introduced in rapid succession. Once this is over with it is a roller coaster of Star Wars all over the place. The space battle action scenes were intense, exhilarating, and just downright top knoch. The planetary battle for the death star plans was exciting and had the crowd on the edge of their seats. Of course their was “the scene” that everyone is talking about. The rebels have just received the plans for the death star through a transmission and their running to their ship and the door won’t open. All of a sudden the lights go off and the crowd hears Darth Vader breathing. A red lightsaber ignites and Darth Vader starts cutting down rebels like butcher in a slaughterhouse. One of the rebels passes the plans through a crack in the door immediately before being impaled. At the last second the rebel makes it to his ship and takes off. This was the most powerful scene in the entire movie in my opinion. I was awestruck at the brutality displayed in the scene alone.

In “Rogue One,” holes were filled in about episode 4, and we got closure to the story of how the rebels got the death star plans was given. It had great action, great premise, a mix of great and improvable acting, and great fan service.

Dragon Media • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in