The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition

8.5/10

November 14, 2016

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition, or TESSE, is Bethesda’s remake of the critically acclaimed Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which was released Nov. 11, 2011.

Released on Oct. 27, the remastered title has updated graphics for almost everything in the game while preserving the style of the original. In the re-released version they added new snow and water shaders, and dynamic depth of field improvements that were visible from the very first cutscene. As I played the game I soon realized If I was looking at a character everything except them would blur out making objects up close look so much better and detailed.

Bethesda fulfilled their promise of bringing mods to consoles, and even though they had a rough time getting them to the PS4, they were still able to achieve their goal. While trying to get mods on the PS4, Bethesda was communicating with Sony, but they never really clicked until Sony reluctantly agreed to have mods so they don’t fall behind Microsoft, who have implemented mod support. Unfortunately, Sony also made a rule that made PS4 users cry out everywhere: no external files. You might think this isn’t a big deal because people can and will make their own mods,but. while this is true, getting files from external files reduces the already limited file size to a tiny 1mb of download space on the PS4. On launch day PS4 version of TESSE launched with a paltry 47 mods compared to Xbox One’s 124 mods. With more mods, the Xbox also offered a lot more choices as to which and what mod you would like to add into your game.

One of the best new change on TESSE for PC users like myself is the change of the engine from a 32 bit engine to a 64 bit engine. This allows modders to make more advanced mods for the pc with complex and elaborate storylines that rival or even surpass the main story line. I’ve already added over 50 mods to my game and I’m excited to get my character into new adventures.

A major downside of TESSE is the 60 dollar price tag for console users. Even with mods, new lighting and all the DLC, this should have been $40, max. If you’re planning on getting the special edition, just know that there’s no new quests, just new looks for all of the original quest content. If you have PC though and have bought the legendary edition or all the DLC, you will get TESSE for free, primarily because Bethesda wants a lot of mods put out for console users.

Overall I would have to give The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition a 8.5/10 even though it remakes art work and makes the game look beautiful I don’t believe it is worth the steep price tag of 60 dollars for console users. If you do have a PC and already have Skyrim with all its DLCs, I highly recommend jumping on and trying some of the new mods.

Dragon Media • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in