Taking the field

Preparing for Special Olympics track

March 1, 2016

The Special Olympics track team is gearing up for their upcoming events in March and are in need of some help. Practices will be held every Thursday from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. at the high school. The athletes are split up into groups based on skill set, creating a need for many volunteers.

“The kids love track so much. I always enjoy being able to see them interact with their fellow students outside the classroom,” Malori Remy, team coach, said.

The athletes will have two local track meets this year. The meets will be located in Keller and Grapevine. Volunteering not only assists the staff and students but also is an opportunity to connect with fellow peers.

“I love being able to hangout with the kids and exercise with them every week,” Lauren Kirby, former volunteer, said. “When I attended the meets last season, I felt like I was an outcast. It is such a beautiful thing to see them all fit in and be a part of a team full of kids just like them.”

Former volunteers are working to recruit new students for the upcoming season in February. Student volunteers will pair up with the athletes, assist them in their events and help keep track of event schedules.

“The bond you make with each kid is so special,” Kirby said. “It will make you the happiest person in the world. You truly get to see and experience how much love they have in their hearts.”

Participating in the sport is also a way to earn community service hours. No track and field experience is required to become a volunteer. The coaches will provide all 0f the requirements and instructions needed to participate.

“I was not a volunteer last year,” Lizzy Weisner, future volunteer, said. “However, I’m very excited to participate this year. I’ve heard it’s a really great experience and I love working with the life skills kids. It’s also an amazing opportunity to gain a few extra community service hours before graduation while having fun at the same time.”

Dragon Media • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in