Revolutionizing history (Opinion)

Provided by the @hamiltonmusical Instagram account

Revolutionizing history (Opinion)

How my love for “Hamilton” inspired me

March 1, 2016

I’m obsessed with a hip hop musical about Alexander Hamilton. Yes, Alexander Hamilton. The man on the ten dollar bill, a founding father, and the person who established America’s national bank. It may sound strange, but Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical, “Hamilton,” has become more than just music I jam out to in my car. It has reminded me of one of my greatest passions that I almost left behind, musical theatre.

It all started when I went to get coffee with my friends. They wouldn’t stop talking about this new musical, so I decided I had to give it a listen. The moment I heard the first notes boom through my computer, I realized I hadn’t listened to a full cast recording for a musical since I was fourteen.

For 10 years, musical theatre was my life and all I ever wanted to do. When I was a freshman, I was convinced I was going to major in theatre and pursue it for the rest of my life. Yet, somewhere along the way, I veered off the track of performing arts. Between journalism and choir, my love of choreographed dancing and show tunes slipped away. My dreams of being an actress were clouded over by my plans to major in Public Relations. But I never regretted my choice. I never missed being up on stage, and I never felt sad watching others pursue the dreams I had once held myself. Musical theatre became only a memory.

But something changed once I listened to “Hamilton,” and for the first time in years, I remembered why I loved theatre for so long. In every note I could hear the cast’s love and passion for what they were singing, and I desperately missed that feeling. People like Lin-Manuel Miranda were writing genius pieces of music, and I wanted to be the one singing them. For the first time in three years, I missed musical theatre. For the first time in three years, I remembered why theatre had been my passion for so many years. For the first time in three years, I regretted my decision to quit.

I may never be in another musical again, but “Hamilton” has reminded me that I don’t have to forget about the things I used to love. Discovering “Hamilton” has allowed me to realize that gaining new passions does not mean I need to give up my old ones. Yes, I love choir and journalism and theatre. I don’t need to pick and choose what to love, because when I find something that inspires me, I should hold onto it. Live theatre is the first thing that completely enchanted and amazed me, and I am so glad I have found it again.

Dragon Media • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in